A San Diego update and a bit about nervousness…

Been sick sick sick and more sick.  Ugh. Every time I fly, I seem to come home with a new illness of some sort.  I finally start getting better and now I have double ear infections, awesome. At least those aren’t contagious. Ha! I’ve given up drinks (temporarily I might add), started drinking raw organic apple cider vinegar (disgusting and foul!), green smoothies that smell like the woods, vitamin C + D, probiotics, and whole bunch of other concoctions people have suggested to me so we’ll see if it helps any.  If I come home from the next flight without some sort of disease, that will be fantastic! Which brings me to my next topic…….

SAN DIEGO is this weekend! I still have a spot left if anyone wants it on the 27th. You know you want the spot. It’s a rad hotel, 5 star and pretty. ANDDDD my awesome makeup artist will be there on location.  This will be my last San Diego one probably for the year.  I also have openings for the coming up trip in SAN ANTONIO, TX on April 2. I rented an apartment for that. A cute mid-century one. I could potentially do the evening of April 1st as well (my plane lands at 2) or early am on April 3 (before I head to Austin.) Give me a holler at desireehayesphotography@gmail.com

Which brings me to my next topic (how many times can a person say that in one post? Geez, Des!) This is the main topic though so the last time you have to hear that phrase. LOL!

My last minute cancellations are out of control! In my last “sold out” city that was “sold out” for months, I had 5 last minute cancellations (out of 8 total.) This is happening to me over and over and over in each city.  I know your upcoming session probably seems scary.  I totally get it (and have done a boudoir session myself.) You have to go scantily clad in front of a stranger and that is a nerve wrecking. Or maybe your washing machine just broke and spending the money on yourself makes you feel guilty.  I know that feeling too.  I can totally work out a payment plan with you if that is the case where something came up.  Or maybe you booked 6 months ago and made big plans to lose twenty pounds. I say that every month and I never do it.  I totally get that, too. I haven’t been to the gym I have a membership for in at LEAST five months!  Just PLEASE show up. That’s the hardest part.  I don’t care if you have extra twenty (or fifty or whatever) pounds or not and neither will you when you see your pictures because you will look and feel fantastic. That I can promise.  You are fabulous as you are TODAY.  I am good at posing. That’s my thing! Curves are great! (Google Crystal Renn and see how great she looked when she had a little more meat!)

I have my own mom-vodka gut-stretchmark-saddlebag-muffintop-pale thing going on, I TOTALLY get it. The scariest part is driving to the appointment. Every single client has told me that it was way easier than they thought it was going to be.  It’s FINE (and fun!) once you step in the door. I’m a chatter box. There won’t be awkward silences and weirdness. There’s always a bathroom to change in and I do all the poses first (so you know exactly what to do.) I focus on your favorite parts. You don’t have to guess and America’s-Next-Top-Model-it. I promise not to talk like one of those creepy photographers you see in the movies, you know the ones I mean right? The old guys saying “That’s hot, that’s hot, ooh baby” or whatever embarrassing old man pervert thing there is to say. Haha! It’s totally fun and down to earth and non-scary. I questioned posting this on my blog but I think it’s important for people thinking about it to know what it’s like before committing. If you have ANY questions or fear or want to chat first or ANYTHING at all, please let me know and I would be more than happy to help.

Having said that, I am not going to offer any more cities until I see how the rest go. Any future cities will also be required to book the minimum package instead of just a deposit. I do still have spaces open for most of the currently offered cities though….San Antonio, Austin, Miami (almost full) Orlando (almost full) Washington DC, Portland, Seattle, Denver, Chicago (almost full) and Kansas City (almost full.) I hope to see all of who are booked! IF you happen to chicken out last minute, we can do a more “fashion” style shoot. Bring a cute outfit or a fun dress and we’ll make it work (and it will end up being the boudoir you originally wanted anyways because as my husband jokes “you have an insane ability to make people take off their clothes.” Hahahaha!)  My one skill!

OKAY OKAY, I promise I am done! I have to include a picture because what kind of photographer makes a blog post without a picture?  My dog, Zoe aka The Beggar, and my daughter Daphne this morning at breakfast. That’s her “please mama, make her share!” face.

1. Kelly Mendoza said . . .

Coming from someone that has done a boudoir session with Des before I can tell you that she is the best and will
    Make you feel totally at ease.
    In fact I can’t wait to do it again!!!!!

Posted March 25, 2011 at 1:37 am | Permalink
  2. Jessica C. said . . .

Desiree! I’m saving for my someday boudoir shoot with you! You’re such an inspiration for my own photography. I love boudoir, love shooting it, love showing these beautiful women what the rest of us see! And yet I have never had my own done, disappointing to say the least. I refuse to do so until I can come to you though :) I cannot wait until the day!

Posted March 25, 2011 at 1:41 am | Permalink
  3. Jenica said . . .

Don’t worry Des, I won’t chicken out. It’s my promise to myself. This blog post was SUPER helpful though (seriously!!!). Even though as a photog I KNOW how great I can make people look, being on the other side of the camera is such a different thing for me. I’m sorry others have bailed. I’m sure it’s the whole “I shouldn’t spend the money on me and I’m insecure bit.” You are AMAZING and I can’t wait for our session in June!!!

Posted March 25, 2011 at 1:47 am | Permalink
  4. Jenn Guthrie said . . .

Desiree, I’m soooo excited for our Orlando session! I promise you I will be there for sure, I can’t even waaaait! :)

Posted March 25, 2011 at 1:58 am | Permalink
  5. Ginette Stauder said . . .

First and foremost, I am desiree’s friend and am sad to hear that booked clients, cancel after she has traveled to their booked sessions. I could say more, but will stop there, in the hope that my words may be posted. As Desiree stated in this post, there is NOTHING to be scared of. Have you ever seen an image from her that wasn’t insanely beautiful??? She does not shoot models. She shoots everyday women in intuitive posing and gorgeous attire. Point blank… she could shoot you naked in a white room with the 20 extra pounds you wish you didn’t have and STILL provide you with thee most jaw dropping imagery you have ever seen. Trust in the DES.

Posted March 25, 2011 at 2:59 am | Permalink
  6. admin said . . .

Oh my gosh, you girls are so sweet!! Thank you for the amazingly nice comments!

Posted March 25, 2011 at 2:35 pm | Permalink
  7. julie said . . .

sorry this is happening. boo! Well I surely didn’t loose the weight I wanted, but I’m definitely going to make my appointment. can’t wait to meet you in DC. :)

Posted March 25, 2011 at 6:23 pm | Permalink
  8. amy said . . .

If you’re nervous about your upcoming shoot - I had a session with Des recently. I’m 40, hadn’t lost all the weight I wanted but still had lots of cellulite and never wear lingerie. I was already nervous, but to make things worse, the night before our shoot, I had the worst hair color disaster EVER (the kind where you can’t do anything but wear a hat until you can get to the salon). I cried on the way to the shoot because I felt so ridiculous.

In spite of all that, my pictures turned so great that I felt like a Maxim cover model :-) Des’ photoshop skills are incredible! To say that my husband flipped over the photos is an understatement. After my 65 yr old mother looked at my pictures, she wanted to have a session with Des. The most important thing is to relax, have fun and trust in Des’ ability to make you look amazing! It was worth every penny and so much FUN!

Posted March 30, 2011 at 12:32 pm | Permalink
  9. Tracey Richmond said . . .

I would say I was a nervous bundle of nerves before my shoot, but not only is Des the most FUN girl you could ever meet, she makes you feel beautiful even before you get your first pic taken. Her skills with posing and angles and everything else make you look AND feel incredible.I want to do it again, I’ve never felt THAT beautiful in my life (even on my wedding day). Thank you Des!!!!!

Posted April 5, 2011 at 4:04 pm | Permalink
  10. Jes Gwozdz said . . .

I am so sad to hear that you have had so many cancellations, Des. I am so looking forward to the session I scheduled with you, even though I have only lost 8 of the 30 lbs I plan to lose before we meet. LOL! I am glad I saw the comment above from Amy. She sounds exactly like me. Can’t wait to me you this fall!

Posted April 16, 2011 at 7:26 pm | Permalink