My Friend Sarah

I have known Sarah since we were 9 years old. She is such a beautiful person inside and out.  We saran wrapped toilet seats at slumber parties together, ran outside in swimming suits in the snow, wore matching pajamas to school on pajama day, read Babysitter’s Club books and planned to open a daycare together when we grew up (Ha, we were 9 then, don’t judge us!) She is one of those friends that is friends for life.  Heck, she was even there when I peed on a pregnancy test and found out I was pregnant with my daughter.  We live 1200 miles apart now but still see each other a few times a year.

She just had her first baby last month, but things didn’t go so well. :( On August 24, she was having a bad headache and heartburn so they decided to go to the hospital (she was due with the baby.)  When they got there she had a brain aneurysm. They gave her a cesarean section and their baby girl, Sage, was born beautiful and healthy.  She looks just like Sarah.  Same little nose and everything!  Sarah was in a coma for a few weeks following.  On Sept 2 she was able to wiggle her toes and squeeze a hand.  On Sept 3 her breathing tube was removed.  On Sept 6 she had moments of comprehension and was able to make movements when asked.  On the 10th she reached for her husband Nate’s hand and touched little Sage’s ear.  Everyone breathed a sigh of relief but it will be a long road of recovery ahead.  She has been able to hold the baby as of recently.  It will be a while before she can fully communicate and move around but the progress has been good.  I can only imagine how hard it is been for her hubby (who is AWESOME by the way) to take his baby girl home without her mama.  Sarah has an amazing husband, family, and friends and is in good hands.  Tomorrow (Sept 18th) there will be a Sarah Bower Benefit Sale in Issaquah, WA and if anyone is local and would like address information, please shoot me an email at desireehayesphotography@gmail.com.

If anyone else would like to make a donation there is a fund set up through Wells Fargo called “The Sarah Bower Donation Fund” or there is also a paypal fund that her friend Jill set up and you can donate by clicking here: Sarah Bower Donation Fund.

You also might remember them from this image in 2008 at her sister’s wedding.  I love this picture of her, laughing and happy.  Sarah, when you get better and read this, I love you and hope you can go home to Nate and Sage SOON!!!!

1. Jaden said . . .

Wow Des! That’s such an amazing story. We have tons of friends in Washington so I’ll post this on my facebook.

Posted September 17, 2010 at 4:44 pm | Permalink
  2. admin said . . .

Thank you for passing it on, Jaden!

Posted September 17, 2010 at 4:47 pm | Permalink
  3. Sarah Henderson said . . .

Oh my heart aches for her and her family! I am praying she will be with her hubby and sweet baby girl very soon!!

Posted September 17, 2010 at 4:49 pm | Permalink
  4. Tonia said . . .

Is this Sara that I remember, maiden last name started with a K? That is scary. I hope things go better. I know you have probably had a lot of worry and stress with that, you guys were best friends forever.. I wish I had money to help her out.. I am in a tight position myself.. but my thoughts are with her and her family. I hope for a speedy recovery. I am glad she has a wonderful husband, and a baby in good health.

Posted September 17, 2010 at 4:54 pm | Permalink
  5. admin said . . .

Yep, Tonia, it is her. Thank you for the good thoughts for her! They are all working because she is progressing! No worries either, I am just putting it out there for anyone who can. Hugs!

Posted September 17, 2010 at 5:13 pm | Permalink
  6. WOW! Glad she is getting better, even if the progress is slow. Sounds like she does have an amazing hubby and I am sure she can’t wait to be home with her gorgeous baby <3 Prayers!

Posted September 17, 2010 at 7:38 pm | Permalink
  7. Michelle said . . .

You’re such a good friend Des!

Posted September 17, 2010 at 8:42 pm | Permalink
  8. Kelly Mendoza said . . .

I have been keeping her in my prayers Des!

Posted September 18, 2010 at 10:27 pm | Permalink
  9. Jana Kunz said . . .

OMG, that is so horrible and any families worst nightmare. I brought tears to my eyes. Thank GOD she is doing better and pulling through.

Posted September 21, 2010 at 12:16 am | Permalink
  10. Lori said . . .

How heart wrenching! What a tragedy for this family, but I hope and pray things turn around for her and them. She’s beautiful.

Posted September 21, 2010 at 9:28 am | Permalink
  11. Elisabeth Lind said . . .

Wow - I just saw this. I live 5 minutes from Issaquah and totally would have gone if I had seen this in time! Im so sorry about your friend

Posted September 22, 2010 at 12:40 pm | Permalink
  12. I hope and wish for her full recovery…soon.

Posted September 23, 2010 at 4:10 am | Permalink
  13. Amber said . . .

Hey I ran across your blog from CM and noticed this entry. I am one of Sarah’s friends myself. What a small world! Love your work.

Posted September 24, 2010 at 7:53 pm | Permalink
  14. Lisa said . . .

Oh wow, I’m really really sorry for your friend. I hope her recovery goes quickly and she is strong enough to go home soon. How terrible!

Posted September 27, 2010 at 5:10 pm | Permalink